Friday, August 12, 2016

Trend: Corset Lacing

Mandatory duck face for boob shots

Rejoice, medieval and vampire goths, for your time has come! Emerge from the shadows and head to your local fast-fashion store for ye olde lace-up / corset shirts.

http://lookbook.nu/look/8358737-Zara-Black-Knit-Top-Mango-Leather-Short-P-O-L-A-R-O-D

No joke, I've been seeing these EVERYWHERE. In the stores, on real-life human beings on the streets. Now that we've churned through all the 90s trends at lightning-quick speed, the 00s trends are right around the corner.

http://lookbook.nu/look/8342286-Zaful-Jumpsuit-Jeffrey-Campbell-Shoes-All-Black
As a fantasy nerd and Vampire player, I love this shit like a roach loves garbage day. I've got a bag of laughably out-of-date goth clothes, and I'm going to pull out some stuff that I bought when the trend was in the last time around. The below top I bought at Forever 21 in 2002ish? I remember being particularly excited about this one since it had both fishnet and corset lacing. 

So, the downside to corset tops is that you can't really wear a whole lot of jewelry. Your only option is pretty much chokers. The other downside is the dangly strings--what do you do with them? let them hang? tie them in a bow? If you tie them, you mess up the whole geometry of the look.

I look so plain without my nose rings...

While I was trying on the below Robin Hood/Peter Pan dress from Free People, I also discovered that if you tie the dangly strings behind your neck, you've kind of fixed the weird neckline problem the corset tops have.  


Trend: Corset Lacing


How do you feel about the corset top trend?

13 comments:

  1. I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of it on me, but I love it on you! I did buy a bell sleeve tunic dress with the cris cross front last December and was wearing it backwards. LOL!!! Oh so much 90s nostalgia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that top you wore! I loved it. Yeah the lace-up creates many optical problems... And, like, there's a bra problem, which I should have written about. Haha definitely not fit everyone and I know this trend isn't going to stick around

      Delete
  2. I'm really into laced up medieval type tops at the moment! I need some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I love love medieval tops too. Time to hit the stores

      Delete
  3. "the 00s trends are right around the corner"
    I've been waiting for so long! I don't even know why, I just want to see this happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I love medieval stuff, but I'm not a fan of lace up necklines. It looks really good on you, though, tieing the ends behind your neck is a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh great, trends from the early 2000's rearing their head to make me feel old AF!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... And what's scary is that it doesn't even feel that long ago

      Delete
  6. You could loop the dangly strings so that they are in the inside of you shirt, and even tie them or hide them on your bra

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I've been seeing them everywhere as well. It's a bummer that they look so plain, I mean, it looks so basic and you can't really make it look very gothy and dramatic, it's on the edge between boho chic and cheap goth. I don't think I like it, yet maybe because I haven't found a way to cultivate them into my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete